Monday, May 7, 2012

Our baby girl

Have you ever felt like your life was a movie and you were watching it from the front row, unable to know how the movie ends? We are there...and for most of the month of April all I wanted to do was yell "CUT!" over and over, but as life would have it, it just kept going.

I wasn't sure I was going to continue with my blog, but it seems a little like therapy for me, so I will. Bryant told me to keep documenting our life, because it is our life and we ARE going to live it.

So I will start from the beginning...

The first week of April, we went in for our BIG ultrasound. We were getting to find out if we were adding another rowdy little boy to this group or if pink, tutus and bows would be invading our house. I was 20 weeks and everything had been progressing perfectly. I was convinced it was a boy, mainly because my pregnancy was going so smoothly...just like it was with William. Within seconds of having that cold goo put on my belly, the ultrasound tech said that there were complications. Even typing it still makes my stomach turn in knots and a sick feeling wash over me. Bryant immediately grabbed my hand and was at my side, we had no idea what we were in store for...
She preceded to look and told us we would have a long road ahead, I would have a doctor and multiple tests in Birmingham, and I would be labeled high risk. We were speechless and I just wept. She then told us it was a little girl and she was going to continue to look at her and take some measurements and asked if I wanted her to turn off the screen....What??? No, absolutely not, this was our little girl and whatever the case we would treat this like we would any "normal" pregnancy!  Bryant finally asked what was wrong, and she said that all she could really tell was that her arms and legs were measuring significantly behind. She mentioned Dwarfism but couldn't make a definite diagnosis. I looked at Bryant and then at the ultrasound tech and said "Is that it?" because we could most definitely handle little arms and little legs! At that point we were so excited that we were having a little girl she could have had 4 arms and 4 legs and we would have been fine! We went in to see my doctor, and he said he wasn't going to make any assumptions or a diagnosis. He wanted our next steps to be to go for a further targeted ultrasound and see a doctor at UAB. I won't pretend we weren't shocked, because we were. We went from the ultimate high of finding out girl or boy, to immediately the lowest low of hearing something is wrong. We looked at each other and said we know that God is in control and He doesn't make mistakes, this little girl is OURS and she is ours for a reason, PRAISE BE TO GOD, regardless.

So for the next 4 days we waited, not so patiently I might add, for an appointment to be made in Birmingham. We had told ourselves and prepared ourselves to have a little person, and we were beyond excited for what God would do through her and through our family. We talked about having to hem clothes and laughing that William would have her in so much trouble...we were living life with our little girl, no matter how small she was going to come to us! While we waited for our doctors appointment, I went to New York with my step mom and we bought every piece of available girl clothing we could find, I am almost not exaggerating! Bryant was at home, cleaning out our guest bedroom in preparation to add another nursery to our home! It was exciting and we had just started feeling her really kick...life was going good.

The day of our appointment came around and in my heart I was anxious, but I just thought they would confirm what we already prepared in our minds for...a little person. After an hour ultrasound and 4 doctors later...we got what would be the most life changing news you could ever receive. Our precious baby girl had several fractures in her arms, legs and ribs and had what seemed to be a collagen and calcium deficiency. Her skull would press in just from the ultrasound wand, her legs and arms were bowed, and she was still measuring significantly behind. They told us she had a bone disease.

Osteogenesis Imperfecta.

Two words I had never heard of, that now hold the biggest weight I could ever possibly have in my life.
The doctor said she didn't have good news and I really can't remember much of what she said after the word fatal. Fatal...our little girl would have to fight for her life before she took her first breath. It felt like the biggest punch to the stomach, I couldn't breathe. All we could do was weep.

You know, we went in thinking our 2nd pregnancy would be just like our first. We have a healthy baby boy, and we just assumed we would have another. Looking back it's crazy how we take for granted the health we are BLESSED with on a daily basis.

Bryant and I, somehow, walked out of the hospital to our car and got back on the interstate. We pulled over at a gas station and we cried. We cried for our little girl and for the unknown road we were now embarking on. Bryant looked at me and said "we have only one rope to hold on to...and it's Christ."

I never knew how true those words would be.

We don't ask why us, we know that disease is part of the curse...the curse that man caused when we turned from God. We know that one day this will be made right when all things are restored through Christ. We know why God is taking us through this...it's for HIS GLORY. We don't know what it looks like or how it will look like and we are so uncertain of many things...but we are holding on to what is CERTAIN and that is truth!

I am not going to lie and say this isn't hard. It is the hardest, darkest valley we've ever gone through. There are moments when fear can creep in and take over and when grief is too strong to deal with. I have cried most days and our emotions stay on a roller coaster that doesn't seem to stop.

But even in the darkest of our days, we have joy. There is joy in suffering. Our preacher has been preaching on this for the past month....God's sovereignty for sure! He said Sunday we don't rejoice in the trial itself, but in what Christ has done. Our hope is in that. We know that because of what Christ has done, taking the wrath we so deserve, that we will one day be restored to what we were created to be. We will have eternity with Him, where there isn't disease, death, or sickness. Thank God we have more to hope in that what is here on this earth.

God has been gracious to give us precious friends and family, a church and an energetic little boy to carry us through. We daily see Him at work in our life and we know that our prayers are sustaining us. He has been faithful to give us grace enough to endure the day...no more and no less. We know that God is the Great Physician and that He can heal her...this is what we cry out daily. We are believing with everything in us that He can, and that He will. His will and plan are perfect and can't be thwarted, so we know if He chooses to take her home...she not only gets to grow up in the Kingdom, but our God is still so good!

In the past month, we have been in a holding pattern. It is such a hard place to be, because we don't know where to go from here. One of the hardest parts of this is the not knowing...I can't tell you how many times a day that phrase has escaped my mouth. "We just don't know." We don't know how to prepare, which road do you plan for? Bryant and I had a heart to heart last night, and if we are earnestly praying for her to be healed then we need to prepare for it to happen.

We are choosing to live life with our little girl. We are giving thanks for the precious gift we've been given in Henley Brooke and we are going to enjoy and fight for her as long as God allows. Carrying her has been one of the most gracious gifts I've ever been given and we don't want to waste any days of her life not embracing it! We aren't promised any time with anyone...it's by God's grace that we wake up able to breathe each morning, that the sun rises, and the earth continues to spin. Our family is learning to see that His mercies are new each morning and with those sweet gifts we are rejoicing!

Henley is kicking away as I type this...another reminder that she is ALIVE and fighting. She is a miracle, a gift and a daily reminder that God is knitting her and creating her for His purpose, just the way He wants her. I am a grateful momma.

I am thankful for this journey...for this season. It's not easy, but some of the sweetest moments with Him come when you are being refined in the fire.

This God- his way is perfect; the word of the LORD proves true; he is a shield for all those who take refuge in him. Psalms 18:30

But he said to me, "My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness." Therefore I will boast all the more gladly of my weaknesses, so that the power of Christ may rest upon me. For the sake of Christ, then, I am content with weaknesses, insults, hardships, persecutions, and calamities. For when I am weak, then I am strong. 2 Corinthians 12:9-10


29 comments:

  1. Beautiful post Whitney. Heartbreaking but not without Hope. He is our Hope. I am so proud of you. Yes, you live your life as though you expect a miracle. Every time she kicks He is reminding you He is in control and that in itself is a miracle. I bet Henley gets her mad kicking skills from her Momma! :)
    Love you and am praying so hard for you, what a testimony of God's grace you are.
    Keep blogging - it will be good for you and you never know how it ministers to others.
    Praying hard.
    Mrs. Cheney

    ReplyDelete
  2. My heart is so full for your family. This is so touching Whitney. Thank you for the reminder that by God's grace we have life. Henley is also a reminder of the love and faith you and Bryant show everyday in your walk with Christ. Thank you for revealing your heart. We love you Whit. We have been and will continue to pray for each of you!
    Praying,
    Erin

    ReplyDelete
  3. We love you guys. We love your sweet family. We love your sweet little girl. We are constantly keeping you in our hearts and our prayers. Our God is good all the time and He will lead you through this.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are in my prayers! Thank you for sharing your journey.

    ReplyDelete
  5. We love you guys so much and we are praying for you in this season of not knowing.

    I'm so glad you can use this space to write. Your heart is beautiful, sweet friend.

    Oh, Miss Henley, you are loved.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Just wanted you to know we are praying for ya'll and your sweet baby GIRL...Thanks for sharing your heart, Jesus definitely is glorified through your words. What a testimony of your FAITH as a family.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've been reading for a while, but don't ever comment. I follow you guys on FB, but had no idea about any of this.

    I'm so sorry you guys are going through this, but I am so impressed and amazed by your love for your daughter and your willingness to fight for her and love her together and continue to find strength in God.

    I will pray for your family and hope that God's healing grace will be with your family.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Whitney and Bryant, we are praying for each of you and your sweet baby girl. Thank you for your testimony and faith in our Lord, even when it's an unbelievably hard road. We are praying for healing, and also praying for the Lord's glory to be made known through Henley.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Found your blog through Kelly's Korner. I will be praying for you and your precious family! I know personally the support than can come from being one of Kelly's prayer requests (I have a precious miracle little girl named Grace). We will be praying for y'all!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I found your blog through the prayer requests page on Kelly's Korner. Your post about your sweet girl was so beautifully written and your faith in what has to be one of the most trying times is truly an inspiration. I will be praying for you and your sweet Henley, as well as the rest of your family.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Found your blog through Kelly's Korner. Praying for you and your family! So thankful for your testimony of faith in Christ, and yet your honesty in your grief is a blessing too. I lost my daughter, Zoe, at 15 weeks and very vividly remember those moments we lost her. Like you said, we just assume all is well when we go in for ultrasounds. Her life forever changed how I viewed my own life and my children's. Thank you for sharing your story!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Praying for you guys!! God is in control! Thank you for your testimony!! Henley is in my prayers and in God's hand! What a wonderful blessing! Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Praying for you, your family and sweet Henley.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Praying hard for you & your baby!!
    I live in Birmingham & I'm a licensed massage therapist in the Helena area. I will GIVE you a prenatal massage (in which I am trained & certified in) so maybe just maybe you could have one hour of a little relaxation. Please email me at nlbh77@yahoo.com if you are interested & we can set up a time & date.
    I found your blog through Kelly's Korner.
    I'm praying so hard for your family!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I came to your post from a prayer request for you on Kelly's Korner Blog. I am pinning your post on my Pinterest Board (Spiritual) because it speaks to me so deeply of the way we should embrace life with our Savior, especially in the valleys. Thank you, from the bottom of my heart, for sharing your journey and your inner thoughts with us here. Your story is changing lives for Him. What a beautiful family Henley has. Prayers for all 4 of you!!! God bless! Love Laurie, Scene of Sublime Blog

    ReplyDelete
  16. Came to your blog from Kelly's Korner and will be praying for your sweet baby girl and family. I am from Birmingham. God Bless!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thank you for this post!! I just learned my friends 18 month old has a brain tumor - I was crying as I read your post! God is in control and he is good...all the time!! Praying for you and your family!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I came to your blog through Kelly's Korner Blog. I can not imagine what you must be going through, but what I do know God is in control and he will be with your family through it all. Please know I will be praying for you and your family.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hugs and prayers. I only slightly know what you are going through. This poem helped me so immensely http://bringinghomeholland.blogspot.com/2011/01/our-journey-with-dwarfism.html

    that we are bringing home our 3 child with dwarfism. Six years almost to the day of receiving the news of our own sons dwarfism, I am awed at the path that God placed us on and prepared us for. Your daughter has already touched many and we will continue to pray for her and you all.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I'm praying for you. I found you through Kelly's Korner. Your story interested me because I myself have a form of dwarfism. While I do not have OI, I know several people that do, and have gone on to lead successful lives. I know there are different severities within the disease, but do not give up hope. I strongly encourage you to look into the Little People of America. I have been involved in it all my life, and the information is fantastic. You might even find someone in your area with OI to talk to. If nothing else, check out their website http://www.lpaonline.org/

    ReplyDelete
  21. Hi! Found your story on Kelly's Korner, and it is so familiar. A former co-worker in Birmingham had a healthy sweet little boy and went in for her 20 week appointment with her second pregnancy, a girl,Maggie, who is also diagnosed with OI. I wanted to share their blog with you, although they haven't updated in a while, Chris and Jenna are precious, and would be a great resource. Praying for your family! http://coopandmags.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  22. I found your blog through Kelly's Korner and just wanted you to know that I will be praying for sweet Henley. With God, all things are possible (Matthew 19:26)!!! Your testimony is so encouraging. I am also reminded of a scripture that carried me through uncertain times. A scripture that reminds me that He is the Author and Creator of all things. Psalm 139:13-18

    "For you created my inmost being; you knit me together in my mother’s womb. I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made;
    your works are wonderful, I know that full well.

    My frame was not hidden from you when I was made in the secret place, when I was woven together in the depths of the earth. Your eyes saw my unformed body; all the days ordained for me were written in your book before one of them came to be.

    How precious to me are your thoughts, God! How vast is the sum of them! Were I to count them, they would outnumber the grains of sand when I awake, I am still with you."

    ReplyDelete
  23. Here from Kelly's Korner and through tears I am praying for your family!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Hi! I came over from Kelly's Korner. Normally, I try not to read all the prayer requests because it is just too much but when I saw the words OI it drew me here.

    We lost our first daughter on 06/29/2009 to this and your story is written pretty much as exactly as it played out for us.

    My thoughts and prayers will be with you. You can visit my blog if you would like or if not I totally understand.

    www.piratesandbutterflies.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  25. I found you through Kelly's Korner. Just wanted you to know that thoughts and prayers are coming to you from Michigan. I grew up with a girl who has OI and she is doing fabulously at 43 now! Sure, there are limitations as to what she can do, but I can tell you that she lives life to the fullest! Her parents were a lot like you are and I know that, by the grace of God, your little Henley will lead a full life full of love and God's blessings...

    ReplyDelete
  26. Whitney,

    I had no idea what you guys have been going through, but as God would have it- you were placed on my heart this week. That's because I was thinking about how you are 'my heart' in Phi Mu! I then saw a post about your pregnancy this morning on Facebook. I cannot believe how fast time has flown by, but when I thought about you I immediately thought of your sweet and humble spirit and the precious light you shine. It is truly the light of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ. In reading your journey, I couldn't help but be overwhelmed and brought to tears. You are beyond shining His light, you are holding His torch for all to see. You and Bryant are living the Word and are a 'city on a hill.' Thank you. Thank you for sharing this journey and your faith. I'll be praying for you guys, as I know so many people are. As you have said so many times, to God be the Glory! He is Good! And I praise Him for you! I love you, heart!
    Mary King-Miller :)

    ReplyDelete
  27. "We know that because of what Christ has done, taking the wrath we so deserve, that we will one day be restored to what we were created to be. We will have eternity with Him, where there isn't disease, death, or sickness. Thank God we have more to hope in that what is here on this earth." Whitney, I copied and pasted your words from your post. These stood out to me. These have been my thoughts as I watched my mom die less than 2 weeks ago. I was with her during her last 4 weeks of life. As she took her last breath as a 59 year old, I thought, "this is not how it is supposed to be". Another thing you said reminded me of a hymn: The flames will not hurt you, I only design the dross to consume and the gold to refine.
    I am encouraged by your"s and Bryant's faith. We love yall even though we have not seen you in years. Our prayers will be with you during this time.

    ReplyDelete
  28. I found your blog through another that I read....and I am praying for you and your baby. I also wanted to pass this person along to you. I am a Zumba instructor, and another instructor friend of mine has osteo imperfecta. She is living a wonderful life. Here is her Zumba bio page. http://corinag.zumba.com/ I know my friend Corina has struggles, but she is able to overcome with the hope of the Lord! Same for you guys!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Whitney, this was on the Kappa Gamma Chapter wall...I'm a Phi Mu (graduated in 1985) and I'll be praying for you and Henley Brooke as well as your family. Hang in there...and thank you for inspiring me to appreciate everything that is working right in my life right now. You are an excellent writer...and a beautiful Christian soul. LIOB.

    ReplyDelete